Here is more great news if you suffer from insomnia! Meditation techniques for a good night sleep. This Meditation not only helps you to fall asleep quickly, but can be very beneficial for your overall health and well being. In our fast paced world where 24 hours seems like it is not enough time to get everything done, there are ways that you can help yourself to overcome insomnia.
More that 50 million Americans sleep less than 6 hours a day! While some of them might consciously make that decision not to sleep, but others have issues with falling asleep.
Meditation Techniques For A Good Night Sleep
Nancy Elkes, an instructor at Practice Yoga in Manhattan, recommends using the Meditation on the White Swan (also called Hunsani meditation) to quiet the mind in order to fall asleep. The more you use it before bed, the more accustomed your body becomes to this process of physically settling down. Once it’s part of your routine, it can soothe your entire body to fall asleep faster.
Meditation on the White Swan
1. Sit in a comfortable seat with a straight spine. Fold your fingers into your palms with the thumbs extended. Press your thumb tips together until they turn white (no need to press hard, just firmly). The tips are facing down in a V-shape to keep the joint relaxed.
2. Place your hands 6 to 8 inches in front of the brow point, with the backs of the hands facing you. Fix your eyes on the white of your thumb tips and get a clear mental image of your thumbs.
3. Then close your eyes and clearly “see” the thumb tips through the eyelids mentally.
4. Let the mind meditate on the sound “Sat” (Sanskrit for “truth”) as you inhale, and think “Nam” (meaning “the expression of your truth”) as you exhale. Let the mental sound vibrate in your body and continue for 5-11 minutes.
5. Give yourself over to the sleep gods as you let go. “You will reach a state of complete relaxation when you surrender all the mind’s busy thoughts and all of the body’s tensions over to someone or something else,” Elkes says. “Even if you have to envision your thoughts and aches or tension being swallowed up in the waves, let them flow away from you.”
6. To finish, touch the tongue to the roof of the mouth, gently swallow, softly float your eyes open and lay down for a deep sleep.
You can also try this lying down. You might find that soon after envisioning your thumbs, your alarm is waking you up
This is great news for people with sleep problems. Meditation techniques for a good night sleep can be very effective if you do them regularly. ‘Meditation on the White Swan’ takes only couple minutes before you go to bed and but it so beneficial in many ways.
If you or anyone you know suffers from insomnia, please click the LIKE button below to share it with them on Facebook. This way we can spread the word around to help people who suffer from sleep deprivation. Thanks a lot!